Monday, January 27, 2014

The Crown

Lately, I've been obsessing over crowns. Mostly flower crowns, actually. I'm sort of embracing my super girly-ness lately. Anyway, I want to tell you the story behind this particular flower crown.


It was right around Abby's birthday and I wanted a birthday shot to commemorate her five years on the planet. She decided, during those few weeks that she hates being photographed. She only was interested in watching Bubble Guppies. She was a stinker, actually. This time was characterized by tantrums that no 5 year old should be throwing, mess making, and a refusal to eat anything the family was eating. In short, she was being a real pain. 

But still, I was determined to try and get a good shot of her. I begged her, she refused. I ended up bribing her, and she let me pin the flowers into her hair while she watched TV, all the while complaining. I manipulated her body so she was on the blank bit of wall and begged her to look at the camera. She was fussing at me. "Why do you want another one?" "I already did this!" "Are you done yet?" until I got one. This one. How did she manage to look that sweet while being such a pain?

Still, here's what I take from it. I have this picture. It's huge in my house. It's her, it's Abby, the way I think of her. The eyes, the cheeks, the tousled hair... it's my little girl.

I think God must think of us this way. Sometimes I can relate cause I'm a parent too, you know. And I can look at this beautiful picture and see my beautiful girl. Her character is flawed, but it's also lovely. So is mine. So is yours. 

One of my favorite Bible verses is Isaiah 62:3

You shall be a crown of beauty in the hand of the Lord, and a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

Remember that today. That you are so beautiful to Him and so special, even with all your yuck. Just like a loving parent, that's not what He is looking at when He's looking at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment