Thursday, March 6, 2014

How to Find Your Special Verse, Part 2

So yesterday we talked about how I came to understand that any verse that "spoke" to me was really meant for me. Today we're going to get to the technical part of what special verse God has for you right now, and how to be open to finding it.

 Get quiet.
I know this takes some effort if you have jobs, kids, whatever making noise all the time. Set a time, literally, make a date with God to spend a little extra time with Him. Solitude and quiet are key. It takes a while to still your mind, so take your time.

Journal. I have found that journalling really helps me get my thoughts out of my head. I've heard it said that you must completely empty yourself before being filled with the Holy Spirit. Sometimes when I pray I become distracted and my mind wanders. When I type or write that doesn't happen. No editing. Just rambling. Pour it all out. Every thought, every sin, worry, ambition... blob it all out. Get empty. Set your timer and write for 15 minutes without stopping. If your worried about others reading it ( I totally am ), I recommend Penzu. It's got a lock on it so no one can read your beeswax. 

Pray to be filled with the Holy Spirit. The very Spirit of God is already present in your body. You need to align your soul with His. Does that make sense? Do I have words for that? What I mean is, hopefully once you've talked yourself to death and your all empty you'll start to discern God's voice in the midst of your mind chatter. Does that happen to you? It's quiet, so you have to be intentional about hearing. I literally told God (all whiney) "everybody has a verse. I don't have a verse. I want a verse." And do you know, He gave me one that very day. I'll tell you what it is tomorrow. It's maybe boring unless you're actually me, though. 

Expose yourself to the Word. And unless you have the Bible memorized, you'll probably need to make yourself available to God's written word. It's big and there are a lot of words. Where in the world to begin? Personally, I like to do several small devotionals a day. I have to take bite-sized moments with God at this stage in my life. My favorite is Jesus Calling. I have the written version, and the text requires you to look up the verses. I often find gems there. Another favorite is topical books. Here's a good one. Another way is to google that. Look up promises. Hit Biblegateway and search for terms that mean something to you right now (examples: lonely, joyful, persevere, love). If God is nudging you in a direction, calling you out repeatedly about something specific, or if you are feeling a feeling that you want God to speak to, look for that. That sentence is so vague, I feel like it needs an example. Here's one from my life. For years I have struggled with being messy and unorganized. I felt defeated by housework and bound up by responsibilities. I started searching for "discipline" and found that the Bible had loads to say on the topic that helped me. God gave me this gem and I read it everyday. 

"No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." Hebrews 12:11

Here's another one. I continuously battle feelings of anxiety and stress, even in normal life moments. He gave me this one. It's my current fave. 

" The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blesses his people with peace." Psalm 29:11

Recognize the resonance. Some verses in the Bible won't light any fires or stir anything up in you. That's ok. But some will. 

For who knows a person’s thoughts except their own spirit within them? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. 1 Corinthians 2:11

You'll notice when you read something special that your pulse might quicken, or you'll become very alert. That's the Holy Spirit inside you clapping and dancing and making sure you pay attention! I live for communication with God! The thing that disrupts the diapers and the dishes and tells me...

Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve; not lording it overthose entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.
1 Peter 5:2-4
Because he knows I'm weary and tired, and can get bitter, and because He knows I love me some crowns. 

You will be a crown of splendor in the Lord’s hand, a royal diadem in the hand of your God.
Isaiah 62:3
Because he knows I sometimes don't feel beautiful, special, or cherished.

These are just a few examples of things that I've felt applied specifically to me in some time of life or another. I would love to hear it if you have a verse that God has put on you. Tomorrow we'll talk about what to do with your verse when you find it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment